1. Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
2. What greater thing is there for two human souls, than to feel that they are joined for life–to strength each other in all labor, to rest on each other in all sorrow, to minister to each other in silent unspeakable memories at the moment of the last parting?
3. Let there be spaces in your togetherness, And let the winds of the heavens dance between you. Love one another but make not a bond of love: Let it be rather a moving sea between the shores of your souls.
4. When marrying, ask yourself this question: Do you believe that you will be able to converse well with this person into your old age? Everything else in marriage is transitory.
5. A happy marriage is a long conversation which always seems too short.
6. Love doesn’t make the world go round; love is what makes the ride worthwhile.
7. You don’t love someone for their looks, or their clothes or for their fancy car, but because they sing a song only you can hear.
8. Love, n. A temporary insanity curable by marriage.
Ambrose Bierce, The Unabridged Devil’s Dictionary
9. Longed for him. Got him. Shit.
10. By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you’ll become happy; if you get a bad one, you’ll become a philosopher.
- Interpret each quote thinking of the short story Say Yes by Tobias Wolff.
- What quote would describe the husband’s opinion on love and marriage best?
- What quote would describe the wife’s opinion on love and marriage best?
- Give a piece of advise to the characters from the short-story Say Yes by Tobias Wolff.
- Can the characters be together? Justify your answer.